Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Beginner's Guide to Makeup!!!

Hello there!
 
So the other day I was thinking about how much I've learned since I first started using makeup and had no idea about anything. And I thought that I could help someone out there by explaining everything I know after hours of research and years of experience.
 
So first off you should know there are several different products that you decide whether or not to use. Very few people actually use every product on an everyday basis.
  1. Moisturizer
  2. Primer
  3. Concealer
  4. Foundation
  5. Highlighter and Bronzer
  6. Blush
  7. Eyebrow pencil
  8. Eye Shadow
  9. Eye Liner
  10. Mascara
  11. Lipstick, liner, or gloss
For beginners it may look long, daring, or just plain confusing but I promise it does get easier. I remember starting out with just foundation and mascara because I refused to try things out too soon. But I think starting out slow helped me a lot in the long run because no one wants to be that girl that starts out with their makeup and puts on WAY too much. When you're starting out less is always better.
 
1. Moisturizer
Some people start out in the morning with this while others like to do it at night before bed. It's more of an optional thing but if you live in a dry climate it's always a good idea. It can help your skin and clear up the imperfections that some of us have to hide.
 
 
Even if you have naturally oily skin(ME) it still definitely helps. Some people have oily skin because it's too dry and your face is trying to compensate. But moisturizing can even reduce the oil.
 
2. Primer
As a beginner, I wouldn't worry about primer but it does help makeup last longer. I love it because I try to be a busy bee and my face goes through a lot in a day. I usually just use eye primer which extends the life of my eye makeup for another couple hours. But again, it's really not necessary at all.
 
3. Concealer
This is probably one of my favorite products. I think it's pretty necessary. Concealer is used to cover up imperfections like acne or discoloration. But if you have perfect skin (I'm jealous) you wouldn't need this.
 
My main use for concelor, WORST undereye circles but with concealer I can just about erase them
 
4. Foundation
This is a general powder that is used to create an even skin tone. I'm pretty sure everyone who wears makeup wears foundation most everyday. It comes in powder and liquid. People with oily skin use powder and people with dry skin use liquid. But it's always good to try both and see which one you like better.
 
 
 
5. Highlighter and Bronzer
This is one that far fewer people use and if you're just starting out I would skip over this one for a bit until you get everything else down. Highlighter is used to highlight (no, duh Mia) certain features of your face or make them stand out and bronzer is used to make people
  1. look tanner
  2. get more defined cheekbones.
a map of where to use bronzer vs highlighter
I think it looks nice to use but can be a bit over the top or extravagant.
 
6. Blush
I know a lot of people who absolutely treasure their blush but I have seen SO MANY MISTAKES. People won't blend it well enough or put too much on and start getting the whole clown/used a Crayola look that absolutely no one wants. If you're just starting out I think that buying a bit of blush is good but if you use it, tread lightly.
 
7. Eyebrow pencil
So lately all I've heard about is having perfect eyebrows. It's like a new obsession or favorite in the makeup world. Some people use tweezers to perfect the shape of them and a pencil to fill them in which looks nice but it's like an art. I swear it takes forever and it's not one of those things people will notice you're missing, again beginners totally not necessary and can be difficult.
 
back to this picture, you can really see the thicker eyebrow on the left compared to the thinner one on the right.
 
8. Eye Shadow
So I think eye shadow is one of the most creative aspects of the whole process because you can literally use any color(s) but I mean most of the time your eyes are open and you can't really see it. And yet somehow I wear it a ton but anyways... it can require a few brushes but it's fun to be creative with it and I think it's awesome. I usually notice when people use it.
 
One of my favorite eyeshadow looks: the smoky eye
 
9. Eye Liner
Eye liner is difficult. Simple as that. It took me awhile to find out what I liked and actually accomplish a perfect line lining my lid. Even getting the 2 eyes to look the same is an everyday challenge. I recommend lots of practice. But I think that it can really change the shape of your eye and make them look different. This is the other really creative part of makeup because even if you can't see it as much it really does change how eyes look and some people like to make it really thick or wing it... like a piece of art almost. Just in a vague sense you can have pencil or liquid liner. Most people prefer pencils but I've found pens to be much easier because I'm unique like that.
 
This shows several different ways to do it and how it changes your eye shape. I would start thin at first and slowly find what you like best.
 
10. Mascara
This is probably one of the most necessary products. It can lengthen and/or add volume to your lashes. It makes you look more awake and is most people's go to product. I know if I only had 1 eye product I would choose (well, my contacts first, but besides those) mascara. I love the voluminous soft-as-a-cloud look but I know most people prefer to have them really long. It's really a matter of personal preference like all makeup is but once you find the one it's like little angels come out of the heavens and sing.
 
11. and finally Lip stick/gloss/liner
So as I hope you know these products color your lips! I think that the whole red or bright lipstick and liner thing is more for older women. It looks amazing for special occasions but for younger girls on a daily basis it looks more extravagant, like it's too much. However I've seen some natural nude colors with just a twinge of pink that look absolutely wonderful. And for a really daily look there's products like baby lips that have a lighter tint than lipsticks that look wonderful. I have this thing against lipgloss because it's sticky and gets everywhere and gives me a very unprofessional/little kid look and there's just so many things about it that I never use it anymore.
 
I wish I had all the colors!

My favorite lipstick: nude with a soft pink tint
 
For everyday makeup tutorials I think that this one is my favorite. This is Zoella or Zoe and she goes through most of these products and explains what she's using and shows how to use them in a very organized, nice way.
 
 
Anyways I hoped that all helped break down the very general uses and functions of all of these crazy products. Honestly everything I've learned about makeup has come from the internet. I think that Pinterest in the hair and beauty category is a very helpful place to start. youtube will always be my favorite though it can be difficult if you don't know your way around and there are about a billion of beauty blogs (like mine!) that we spend hours on just to help people. If you ever have any questions feel free to tweet/email/tumblr message me, I'll always respond right away.
 
Just a closing note...
 
 
This really is true. When I started wearing makeup I promised myself that I would never feel ugly or anything of those sorts without it. I always wanted to feel naturally beautiful and I think that someone with no makeup who knows how to smile and feel beautiful is better than someone who doesn't and wears a ton. YOU ARE BEAUTIFUL!
 
Anyways... have a wonderfully beautiful day!
Mia B <3

No comments:

Post a Comment