Saturday, August 17, 2013

Curly Haircare :)

Hello there!

So today I would like to talk to you guys about hair! Taking care of my hair is probably one of the most annoying things in the world to me. I have this insanely curly hair that never cooperates and is extremely specific. So if anyone else out there has annoyingly curly hair, I have a couple tips that I've found over the years to help it!

My Products

These things are like a holy grail for my hair. My entire life I have cried over having to brush my hair because it's so thick and curly that anyone brushing my hair felt like they were pulling it out. But these make it so much easier.
 
They're Tresemme Split Remedy shampoo and conditioner which the split end treatments help because I do get them quite often but they make brushing through my hair easy almost like I have straight hair for a second. (Until I get out of the shower) However if you do have curly, hard to brush hair, I would highly recommend these.
 
I also recommend brushing in the shower after you wash the conditioner out or while it's still in and if you don't want to do that at least brush it wet. Brushing it dry just creates frizziness.
 
I use 2 other products on my hair. Firstly is the Loreal Smooth Intense Xtreme Straight Crème

 
I use it to smooth down the frizziness that occurs despite what I do, define my curls a bit more, and as a heat protectant for what I do in the mornings.
 
I also use Dove Dry Shampoo to reduce grease, especially helpful under my bangs which can get bad over the course of a day but I would recommend a little bit of dry shampoo to anyone who has greasy hair at all. I usually only put a tiny bit in and my normally greasy bangs stay nice and clean all day. If you do use dry shampoo, make sure to always rub or brush it in because it will leave behind white powder.
 
 
 
My Hair Routine
 
So I have an extremely specific hair routine because it's the only way I've found to have semi nice hair everyday.
 
It starts out at night when I have to take my shower. You CANNOT blow dry curly hair because again it will increase frizziness, blur the curls together and ruin curly hair. So to have enough time for it to naturally dry it has to be showered at night. I only use shampoo every 2-3 days because I've heard that it reduces frizz but have yet to see that specifically happening. But, it can't hurt. My hair doesn't need to be shampooed every single night, at least I don't notice a difference.
 
However, I do use conditioner and brush my hair every single night in the shower with the previously mentioned one. Brushing your hair in the shower does add an extra 5+ minutes depending on how curly your hair is but it is 100% worth it.
 
After my shower I have to put it up in a ponytail for the night. Leaving it down knots it up, putting it in a braid or bun makes it look more like an afro.
 
 
Probably one of my least favorite pictures of myself. No makeup, terrible hair, no sunglasses, had gained weight, squinting eyes, just overall torture but for your viewing pleasures this is me trying to bun up my hair at night and put it down in the morning. I call it afro hair, so not pretty.
 
Anyways, in the morning I spend about 10-15 minutes working on my hair doing various things to make it look, what I think is better.
 
After straightening my bangs I start out with my hair looking like this:
 
I would normally edit the black part out but my iPad has decided to take photos in a form that my computer is refusing to edit.
 
Then I run some of that frizz control crème through my hair to start defining the curls. Since my hair is already dry by this point, you have to put some crème in your hands then run water over your hands and mix it all together to dilute the crème. Technically you should only use this kind of stuff when your hair is wet, otherwise you can see the product in your hair and it looks greasy but if you dilute it with the water then you generally wont have a problem. I pull it through then scrunch it in the ends and with anything left over I run it through the top of my hair to hold down some of my little hairs that stick up on my head for some reason.
 
 
Then comes the hair-damaging part. So I don't like how curly my curls are. I know it's terrible but every morning I run a straightener though it and I love the way it looks compared to my normal hair. Now I don't completely straighten my hair everyday. That would be way too time consuming and I love my curly hair but to make them less curly I half straighten it.
 
My straightener goes to 455 degrees and out of 30 setting I usually turn it to 20 for this part so about 300 degrees. I separate it all into about 10 sections and make the curls about half as curly as they normally are.
 
 
Quite easy, maybe just to me because I've been doing it for awhile now but I love what it does to my hair.
Before:
After:
Haha my head looks tiny and eyes look funny. Facially naked picture!
 
So yeah! That's my entire hair routine. Again this whole bit takes about 10 minutes every morning which I don't think is too bad
 
Leave a comment of what you've found helpful in your hair routine. Hope this helped everyone somehow even if it just helped people understand curly hair. This is literally the only thing that has gotten my hair to look good in my opinion however it does come with a bit of heat damage but I think it's worth it.
 
Have a wonderful day!
Mia B <3

No comments:

Post a Comment